Friday, November 10, 2006

Shane/Connections

Today Jack Palance died. He played a gun fighter in the movie Shane. Palance was the last surviving actor from that movie. Shane is one of my favorites for many reasons: cinematography, plot, etc. But my fondest memory was going to see this movie with my father. He took me to many movies in the 1950's, Ben Hur, The 10 Commandments, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Giant, and others. It was one of those rituals I thoroughly enjoyed.

But of all the movies I went to with my father, Shane stuck with me. Almost anytime I see it's on TV I watch whenever possible. I can outline the plot and scenes from memory. My father died in 1962. Then the actors from the movie began departing: Alan Ladd in 1964, Van Heflin in 1971, Brandon de Wilde in 1972, Jean Arthur in 1991 and director George Stevens in 1975, over the years everyone except Jack Palance. As long as he was around I felt a connection to my past, and my father. So another connection is gone.

But at least one more remains. During a recent visit with my cousin Chris and brother Mark, I discovered that a first cousin of my father lives in Enterprise Al. Her name is Isabel Byers and she lived with my father and grand parents for 10 years (1918-1928). Since I know virtually nothing about that period of my father's (and grand parent's) lives I need to visit with her. Since she is only 230 miles away and is 92 I'd better not wait too long.

No comments: