Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The Anti-Incumbent Vote

I just voted and for the first time ever I did not vote for a single incumbent. I spent extra time writing my name in for every position held by an incumbent running unopposed--and there were a lot on my ballot. In races where there were choices I usually voted libertarian if there was one. Otherwise my attitude is "it's time for a change!"

Why not run for elected office myself? Political campaigning is a nasty, expensive negative campaign. The only thing worse would be dealing with the political machinations dealing making earmarking and pork barreling that goes on between elected officials. Besides I want less government in my life, not more.

But I resolve to spend even more time focused on what my local elected officials are doing on a day-today-basis, because that's where most of us fall down as citizens. We worry about and debate the big picture--which we can't do much to change--and don't spend enough time following the local things that affect us.

Last week I discovered the city of Atlanta had embarked on a "traffic calming" project on 3 roads in the Garden Hills area. This is an expensive construction project to slow down speeding cars, but it accomplishes this in part by taking away space for cyclists. It happened because the residents were focused and insistent along with the fact no one else paid any attention.

Citizens can have an effect on things like this only if they remain vigilant about local government.

No comments: