Saturday, April 14, 2012

Shoulder Surgery Update

The shoulder surgery I had on December 27th turned out to be one step above shoulder replacement. My supraspinatis (one of the rotator cuff tendons) was reattached using a cadaver tendon and my biceps tendon was also reattached. Physical therapy has been hard and painful but after 2 months the PT guy said I was where most people having this specific procedure would be after 6 months.

I was able to get back on the road cycling after 4 weeks although could not ride more than about 25 miles before it fatigued. I was able to keep my streak of consecutive months doing at least one ride of 200 kilometers by completing a brevet on February 18. My January brevet was actualy a pre-ride done a few days before surgery but I got credit for it on the actual brevet date of January 1. According to the Randonuearing rules that's legal.

Last Wednesday my physical therapist sugested I just continue doing the exercises on my own at home. He estimates it will still take another 4-6 months of hard work to get back to normal and I may never get complete range of motion raising my arm straight up but should get close. Right now I'd be happy with a pain free joint.

No comments: