Friday, April 13, 2012

Colege Once Again

Last summer a friend who is a retired professor at Georgia State University told me about a program where Georgia residents over 62 years old can attend any public college or university tuition free. I knew that Georgia State offered classes in exercise science that would qualify for the continuing education credit I need to maintain my USA Cycling Coach license. In order to qualify for this program I had to apply as a transfer student to GSU and request my transcript from the University of Richmond be sent to their admission office. As a GSU 62 transfer student I am exempt from tuition but have to buy text books and pay applicable lab fees. The cavet is I cannot register for any classes until the first day of class.

Once accepted I was asked what degree and major I planned to persue. I advised them I would work toward a BS in exercise science and started planning for the spring semester. However, several weeks before the semester every single exercise science class was already closed. I visited with my assigned faculty adviser who looked over my transcript and suggested I start by taking the only two "core classes" I still needed. Once I was in the system and had completed those classes she said it would be possible to get into the exercise science classes.

So here I am taking US History and a Computer Skills Course. As the semester draws to a close I'm on track to get an A in History. As for Computer Skills which is completely on line I received all possible points on graded assignments but only 8/12 points on the quiz. We'll see how the rest of the assignments go but I think I'll do fairly well.

No comments: