Sunday, January 24, 2016

What Goes Around Comes Around

As I reflect on my 70th birthday I am reminded how often life is a circular journey. Many times I have traveled down a path only to find myself in that same place years later. For instance almost 34 years ago I came to Atlanta and worked in a Chubb office at Piedmont Center, building 3. Now I am working part time for one of Chubb's largest agencies and I'm once again at Piedmont Center, Building 3. I grew up in Danville, VA and left there in the late 1960's. Lost track of almost everyone I knew back then. Now thanks to Facebook I am connected to many childhood and high school friends I've manged to return there several times over the past few years to attend 2 high school reunions and during the one in 2014 connect with my brother to ride bikes over many of the streets we road on years ago. I am currently back in college working on a BS in exercise science with a minor in gerontology, 47 years after earning a BA in economics. Being in school after so many years is different in many respects. The course work seems easier, I suppose because I am taking courses that interest me without having to take all the core stuff I took years ago. Age and experience also make the work seem easier. One difference is it's harder for me to memorize stuff the way I use to do in order to get through course work. Another difference is I can attend tuition free thanks to being so old and can take as many or as few classes as I want each semester. That's a huge change from when I was at the University of Richmond in the 1960's trying to get done before the money ran out.

One of the most rewarding circular experiences was reconnecting with my first true love after not being in touch for over 35 years. For about 18 months I was on cloud nine until my drinking caused that relationship to fall apart. Looking back on that it was a blessing because it got me sober after a 50 year drinking career. It's too bad I wasn't smart enough to figure that out earlier. Reflecting on that gets me wondering how many opportunities I let slip by either because of my drinking or simply not paying enough attention at the time. I remember a blind date I had back in college. Her name was Page Taylor and she seemed like the nicest person I ever met. She was certainly the most attractive blind date I ever had. However, I blew it one night by picking her up for a fraternity party completely wasted. That date lasted about 30 minutes and I never saw her again. I still remember how embarrassed I was when I called to apologize; she was cordial enough but the damage was done and irreparable at the time.

There are many other situations where I either did--or did not--take action or inaction that ended relationships and friendships In some cases I had all the right in the world to be pissed off. But now as I reflect on a 70 year life span, I wonder if those people passed by me again, would I be able to either make amends or forgive? In almost every case I would welcome the opportunity to try

No comments: