Friday, July 11, 2014

4 Years Sober

As of July 8th I have abstained from alcohol 4 years. That's quite an accomplishment for someone like me who drank pretty consistently for well over 45 years. i certainly tried to control my drinking over the years, even stopped completely for a few months at times, but always went back to drinking. I'm grateful for the friends I have met in AA meetings, along with the insight I get from going to an average of 5-10 meetings each month. When I initially quit I worried that friends who knew me as a drinker would give me grief over not drinking, but that just did not happen. At social functions it's clear to me that no one really cares what I drink (or don't drink). Family reunions, post ride parties, and my recent high school reunion are just a few experiences that I've weathered without any real temptation.

I have over 20 cousins and as I've spent time with many of them it's clear that alcohol was an issue on my mother's side of the family. Several cousins like me no longer drink, and there are at least a few who still do but probably should not. In retrospect genetics plus building up a huge tolerance were the main reasons behind my addiction. The comments I originally posted after 15 months still ring true today. Whenever, I think about whether i could drink normally it's easy to remind myself that I can't and the urge passes fairly easily. However, I have learned that it is very dangerous to get too cocky or complacent about this since I've seen individuals with much more sobriety than me slip off the slope.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is the same thing with me and smoking- and a smoker I used to be. I simply cannot have anything with tobacco or nicotine in it- even once, as I know I'm susceptible.