Friday, November 21, 2008

Back To the Future--Nancy Williams

This morning my phone rang at 6:40 am. Caller ID said it was Nancy Williams--of all the back to the future posts I've done this one is special--at least to me.





In 1964 I was graduating high school, dating a girl I cared about, looking forward to the University of Richmond. My next door neighbor (Beth Brown) kept telling me I should meet a friend of hers. On a Friday night after a picnic at Elkhorn Recreation Club (a lake I was about to start work at as a lifeguard) Beth told me her friend Nancy Williams would be a slumber party not far from my house. Beth said I should come by and Nancy would sneak out to meet me. I went over there late that night, met Nancy and my life over the next few years changed dramatically.





To say I was smitten would be an understatement. I broke up with my girl friend (Diane Boy) within days. I handled that so well that 20 years later at a high school reunion she stared right through me. I dated Nancy that summer, and headed off to college. Lots of stuff happens when you leave home for college but Nancy always remained special. I remember one time I went to a car race at VIR with a bunch of college friends. I ran into her and we wound up totally immersed in one another again. I can't remember all the other times we re-connected over the years but I do remember she once told me (at UR fraternity party) that I lived in a much faster lane than she did. That's when 3 year's age difference was a big deal since I was in college while Nancy was in high school.





I still remember the day I got an invitation/announcement in 1972 that she was getting/got married. That was one of the saddest days in my life because my first true love had chosen some one else. I've re-connected with a fair number of friends from my past but until now Nancy had eluded me. It's hard to find folks when their last name can change.





So how did this re-connection happen? I joined the classmates.com web site since my 45th high school reunion is next year. I think our class has only had 3 (1974, 1984, 2004) and I didn't know about 2004. Anyway a few days ago Nancy showed up as a visitor. An email from me led to an early morning call from her, a follow up email and an invitation to a "phone date" scheduled for later this weekend. I've never experienced a phone date before. But whenever Nancy Williams enters my life I've always been willing to re-connect.





This morning when I saw her name on caller ID I felt like Back to the Future star Michael J Fox in the Delorean transported back in time. I know one can't turn back time, but I'm still smitten by the memory of Nancy Williams--even 44 years later.

No comments: