Thursday, November 10, 2005

When & How I Will Die--Update

I originally wrote an article about this on 01/31/05 and mentioned that with my arthritis perhaps a simple fall could take me beyond this life. My brother Mark commented that "I have often wondered if falling will take me out. Not yet. But a quick, abrupt fall into eternity is preferable to many other scenarios I can conjure."

I now wonder if my hope for a long, fruitful life and a peaceful passing is realistic. It's certainly a goal, but events remind me there is no guarantee. During RAAM (Race Across America) a rider was killed on June 23 in Colorado when he was hit by a car. Yesterday in Atlanta a runner was struck by a car while training as she crossed an intersection. I didn't know either one, but I do know both of them were pre-occupied with safety while training. Bob Breedlove was my age and rode ultra cycling events. Pat Foell was my next door neighbor's best friend.

These deaths were unexpected and happened instantly--one minute they were doing what they loved to do--and then they were gone from this life. Both of them left behind families and friends. They both obviously had many future goals--as both athletes and human beings. Neither one had a chance to say farewell. Many stories just like these happen every day. I have lost friends who died too early. But I've also seen other friends who died from debilitating physical and/or mental disorders that caused tremendous pain and heartache--sometimes to them and always to their family and friends.

If I am not destined to live 30--40 more years in good health and sound mind, then maybe leaving like Bob Breedlove and Pat Foell--or taking that quick, abrupt fall into eternity is a good way to go. Nevertheless I hope it's not too soon! In a post on his web log my brother Mark said about his combat during Vietnam called Death By Chance, "Shit happens. I saw it. Somehow I survived it. It's still there waiting to happen.... I am never totally safe. In that respect I am still on patrol, hoping nothing will happen but entirely aware of the potential."

So am I, Mark, so am I.

No comments: